My focus will be to empower and energize our Farm Bureau family. I want us working together to cultivate our influence from the local to the national level.
My vision is to revitalize Farm Bureau by offering new opportunities and resources to county boards, local leaders, staff and individual members.
Let’s think bigger than before. Here are just a few things on my brainstorming list.
We need –
- Increased county and staff support
- Improved communications system
- More leadership development programs
- “Hot Issue” working groups
- A broad network of state and national relationships
- A larger membership umbrella
- Stronger collaboration with partners
- Insurance company research and development
- A comprehensive county government and policy management strategy
Soon, the 2016 strategic planning process will begin. We need to utilize working groups, brainstorming and forums to capture the true potential of our structure. It is important for everyone to be engaged in the process to encourage collaboration and ownership.
Who is important to Farm Bureau success?
- Consumers – of our agriculture products
- Constituents – in the legislative and regulatory arena
- Clients & Members – of our IFB companies
Developing strategies to address these three target groups will take Farm Bureau to a higher level of performance. Instead of focusing on Farm Bureau’s needs, we must strengthen our relationship with these three groups. As these relationships grow so will Farm Bureau.
Q: Why is agriculture important in Indiana?
Agriculture is the one industry present in every Indiana county. In many, agriculture is the number one economic driver. Land is finite and yet, is required for all that we do. With less than 2% of the population responsible for managing most of the land, farmers have a big job keeping the other 98% aware of agriculture’s contribution. Many Indiana counties, though, have recognized the potential economic power that agriculture offers them and have started to develop expansion strategies. County committees develop objectives that fit best in their communities. We are only scratching the surface of what is possible.
Q: What can farmers do to have a voice in agricultural policies?
For farmers to have a voice in policy, it can be as simple as being a member of Farm Bureau. I don’t want to simplify it too much but organizations such as Farm Bureau and other commodity associations are here to serve our policy needs 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Something individual farmers cannot do. As time and interests allow, farmers can volunteer in these organizations to contribute their time and experience to influence policy more directly. We need more farmers stepping forward to fill these roles. More ideas, more relationships and more involvement is what our industry requires now and in the future.
Q: Why do you want to be president of Indiana Farm Bureau?
With my character, experience and work ethic, I want to serve during this exciting but critical time. The Indiana Farm Bureau family has always been an important influence in my life. My roles as county policy chair, county president, state young farmer committee member and district director are the stepping stones for IFB leadership. My work outside of IFB, such as the National Cattlemen Beef Association and the Indiana Association of County Commissioners, has given me valuable experiences. IFB’s leadership is critical to preserve and expand agriculture’s success and influence. As we prepare the 2016 IFB Strategic Plan, I will challenge us to build on the strength of the Farm Bureau grassroots and think beyond our current boundaries.
I invite you to study my resume, follow my blog, friend me on Facebook, email or call me. I ask for your vote because I care about Indiana agriculture and want to serve and represent our membership and agriculture. I am the candidate with the skills, life experiences, leadership results, strong character and deep passion needed to lead Indiana Farm Bureau. Be informed and ready for an exciting, engaging future. I have always found ways to serve our industry. I look forward to serving IFB as President. I would be humbled and honored.